Residence is a standard gloss for Yashiki やしき (kanji: 屋敷), which can also be translated as “mansion,” “estate,” “grounds,” or “home” in Japanese.
“The Residence” (with the capital “R”) refers to the structures and household property where Oyasama resided during her physical life as the Shrine of Tsukihi. The term in Japanese is often preceded with the honorific “o.” This is especially the case in the original Japanese editions of The Life of Oyasama and Anecdotes of Oyasama.
According to the Tenrikyo jiten, “Residence” (yashiki) is shorthand for “Residence of Origin” (Moto no Yashiki), which in turn “refers to the Nakayama Residence, in which Jiba of Origin exists.” Although the expression “Moto no Yashiki” has only six appearances in Scripture, this meaning ought to be considered true from a doctrinal perspective since the property where Oyasama lived is said to have been the very "Residence" where creation is claimed to have taken place.
The growth of the Residence
Oyasama is said to have anticipated the growth of the Residence during her physical lifetime. She is quoted as once having saying, "The divine Residence will become eight cho (872 m or 2,863 ft.) square." These words are said to have inspired the second Shinbashira Shozen Nakayama to begin the construction of the Oyasato-yakata complex in 1954.
Appearances of “Yashiki” in Scripture
- Ofudesaki 01:029
- Ofudesaki 02:018
- Ofudesaki 04:055
- Ofudesaki 05:005
- Ofudesaki 06:055
- Ofudesaki 10:079
- Ofudesaki 11:069
- Ofudesaki 12:142
- Song Seven, verse eight
- Song Eleven, verse eight
- Osashizu: 295x
- Kenyusha’s New Japanese English Dictionary.
- Fukaya, Yoshikazu. “Jiba, the Residence, the Home of the Parent—Returning to Jiba—(Jiba Yashiki Oyasato),” Words of the Path: A Guide to Tenrikyo Terms and Expressions, pp. 15–17.
- A Glossary of Tenrikyo Terms, p. 325. (For Japanese equivalent, see 『改訂天理教辞典』 Kaitei Tenrikyo jiten, p. 892.)
- 『おさしづ索引』 Osashizu sakuin (index), p. 2620/vol. 3 p. 650.
- Anecdotes of Oyasama 93; Fukaya, Yoshikazu. Words of the Path, p. 17.
- Fukaya, Yoshikazu. "Oyasato-yakata building complex." Words of the Path, pp. 136–137.
- 『おさしづ索引』 Osashizu sakuin, p. 2638–40/vol. 3 p. 668–670.